Sunday, December 6, 2009

No Smoking

Next semester here at TTU we are switching to a smoke-free campus... This is sure to cause many debates among students. I myself am slowly trying to quit smoking, however even as someone that will soon have no stake in this decision I do not think it's right. TTU is a public university. Most students pay out of pocket or take out loans to cover their tuition. I personally think it is wrong to ban smoking from campus completely. If the school were going to create a designated smoking area then that would be one thing, however they have no intention of doing so. I pay to go to school here and if I would like to enjoy a cigarette on this public property while walking from class to class I reserve the right to do so. yes, they are promoting healthier habits among those in their late teens and early twenties and I respect that but as many professors will point out, we are not children anymore, we are adults and our health is our problem and concern. I am sure that the school will benefit from this monetarily and am absolutely appalled that they are making such a drastic decision and taking away the free rights of many hard working students for their benefit. I also understand that it is important to those who don't smoke not to be bombarded by second-hand smoke while on campus but designated smoking areas would easily fix this problem without trampling on the rights of anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment