Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Wanna Be A Gilmore Girl...

Since the first time I watched it, I have loved the television show Gilmore Girls. I love their witty banter and the dialog is just plan hilarious. One thing that has always slightly bothered me though, is the relationship between Lorelai and her daughter Rory. The two don't have your standard mother/daughter relationship. They are friends first and mother and daughter second. I have always hated that dynamic. Your mother is your mother and your daughter is your daughter. I believe that parents and their children can only really be friends when the children are grown and no longer depend on their parents. The majority of the conflict that happens between Lorelai and Rory on the show is because Lorelai begins to act like more like Rory's mother than her friend because Rory has done something wrong. As an adolescent I'm sure that it would become confusing when your relationship with your mother had been all twisted around like that. I like the show nonetheless but that is a factor that truly annoys me.

No comments:

Post a Comment