Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sheena - No, wait, I mean Marley - Is A Punk Rocker...

So ever since I can remember, I've been totally captivated by every kind of music (with the exception of that awful musak that they play in elevators). The earliest encounter that I can recall was when I was about three years old. My dad drove this shitty little red S10 pick-up when I was young and, since my parents were divorced, I only got to see him on the weekend. Every other weekend my father would drive three hours - one way - to pick me up and on the way back to his house in Kentucky we would stop to eat, usually at White Castle and we would headbang to a Ramones cassette that he had the whole way back. I loved the Ramones. What three year old knows every word to "Blitzkreig Bop"or "Sheena is a Punk Rocker"? I really believe I'm the only one in the history of the world.
As soon as I could talk, I was singing. The first song I learned from start to finish was, unfortunately for my family, "Achey, Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus. Once I horribly embarrassed my older sister by singing all the way through nest to the make-up counter in a Lazarus. I was applauded and she was mortified.
I suppose it was no surprise that when I got older I learned to play the guitar and continued singing. Although I know I probably won't ever make a career out of it, it is my secret dream. I was voted Most Talented in high school, which really isn't a huge deal, but I'm proud nonetheless. Who knows, maybe one day I'll make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment