Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ben Harper Wants Me.

I smiled the whole time I read Mick Jagger Wants Me by Susan Jane Gilman. Every girl can relate to that story. We all have a celebrity that we just adore without even knowing. Me? I have several. Ben Harper. John Mayer. Ray LaMontagne. Damien Rice. The lead singer of Bon Iver. The bassist for Augustana. I love them all and they all love me in return. Every word in every song is about me. That is what makes it so great. You can listen to a song or watch a movie and, in your mind, every word and every action can be solely for you.

When Ben Harper sings "Forever" I know he wrote it for me. Just like John Mayer's "Tracing" is about me, as well as Damien Rice's "Cannonball". And deep down I know that when Ray LaMontagne says he's been saved by a woman, that woman is me. Everyone does it; interprets different things in pop culture in different ways. What it really all boils down to, in Mick Jagger Wants Me and in the real world is that sometimes fantasy is just better than reality. There are certain things we don't want to do or see in real life for fear that it will quash the perfect idea we had in our minds of how it should be. Usually, fantasy and reality don't coincide and some things are better off left to fester in your mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment